Edit the Windows Registry
The registry file on your PC controls many different aspects of Windows’ look and behaviour – it keeps a record of the settings for your operating system and many of the applications that run on top of it, informing them about how they should behave and how you want them configured. However, because of the complexity of the file and the essential part it plays in the smooth operation of your computer, Microsoft has ensured that it’s difficult to get to and edit for the average user.This Guidaroo will take you step-by-step through the ways you can tweak and modify the registry file, enabling you to get more out of your operating system and access settings that would otherwise be hidden. We’ll also profile some of the software you can use to get at the registry, from Windows’ own tools to thirdparty applications. There are also guides to backing up the registry file, which means that you can undo any changes should something go wrong. As long as you stick to the guidelines we’ve included here, you shouldn’t run into difficulty. As the registry is so fundamental to the way that Windows works, if it becomes bloated or errors creep in then this can cause system slowdowns and crashes. We’ll advise you on the best ways to keep the registry free from problems and as compact as possible – keep the registry streamlined, and you should see the benefits in the rest of Windows’ performance. From changing settings in Microsoft Word to modifying the security applied to your network, the registry offers a treasure trove of useful functions, and with this Guidaroo to hand, it’s all there at your fingertips.
This 36-page Guidaroo guide is available for instant download for just £5.99.
(Roughly* €7, or US$9, or Can$9, or Aus$9)
PDF format, filesize: 25,000KB. How does this work?
- Tech talk: The registry — A Learn the basics of editing the registry and the part it plays on your system.
- TweakNow PowerPack 2010 — An introduction to one of the best registry optimisers currently available.
- Optimise performance — The Improve the speed of Windows by changing certain registry values.
- Visual enhancements — The registry tweaks that can alter the way that your OS looks.
- Registry optimisation — Ensure you have a lean, streamlined registry by following our tips.
- Network security — Adding Tweak the areas of the registry that can improve network security.
- Privacy tweaks — Ensure your system remains safe from prying eyes.
- Block spyware — Take PC Keep spyware off your system with this selection of registry alterations.
- Control Panel management — Discover the edits that can provide extra flexibility for the Control Panel.
- Optimise hardware — We show Get the most out of your PC setup with these registry edits and tweaks.
- Peripherals — Tweak and optimise your computer peripherals with these registry tips.